Re: [RRG] Comments on draft-lewis-lisp-interworking

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 05:07:20PM +0200, Jari Arkko wrote:
> Dave,
>
> > 	However, as I said (and if its not actually out of
> > 	scope), maybe we should get the biz people in this
> > 	disussion if you want to talk about that angle. Stated
> > 	otherwise, do we have the right group of people engaged
> > 	to take on the business end of this? What I see is a lot
> > 	of speculation, but not much more.
> >

> That's a good question. I would love to get more operator and business
> people involved in this question. Also, I know there are a few
> researchers looking at new mechanisms and architectures from a economic
> and game theory point of view. Would be good to invite such people as well.

	More brains, more better. That's pretty easy. Less random
	speculation, more better too.

	As a data point, we just did a really cool workshop on
	the economics of IP address allocation. We had a bunch
	of world class economists, operators (both ISP types and
	MSO types), application providers (google, etc), and
	vendors (I probably missed some class of people). In any
	event, one of the conclusions is that there needs to be
	more cross-pollination; technology people had little or no
	grasp on the economic issues; economic people had only a
	superficial grasp of the technology issues, etc.

	All that by way of saying it couldn't hurt of we could
	engage some of these types of people in the "economic
	analysis" phase of this, since they understand that angle
	(at least theoretically). They are just notoriously hard
	to engage. Finally, I'll just note that understanding
	economic principles is a different thing than running a
	profitable business.

	Dave