Re: [RRG] Comments on draft-lewis-lisp-interworking

I realize that there has to be a limit how far down the economic / business analysis we go. Among other things, we need to start by coming up with ideas, without regard to such limits. But when it comes to deployment analysis, ignoring the question of who pays, and why, is just not going to work. We don't need (don't want, and can't) to mandate a business model. I would hope that a sensible recommendation allows for multiple business models. But if we can not even imagine one that works, then it fails.

And with regard to wanting more traffic, operators only want more traffic if they are going to get paid for it. That does suggest a path for deployment of PTRs. If they are deployed by folks at the who are paid for transit on a volume basis, and who do not pay for transit, then there may be enough incentives to pay for the extra cost of the traffic. But for most ISPs (who get paid for traffic and pay for traffic), and particularly for ISPs who send and receive most traffic over either free peerings or pay for transit) it would be difficult. (Such ISPs could at least provide PTRs for their own customers if they wished, once there was some reason to do so.) The basic pain point to avoid is dragging in traffic, which does not have money attached, and then having to deliver it a way that doesn't have money attached. Bandwidth and routers are not free.

Yours,
Joel