Re: [RRG] Comments on draft-lewis-lisp-interworking

Thus spake "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
I realize that there has to be a limit how far down the economic / business analysis we go. Among other things, we need to start by coming up with ideas, without regard to such limits. But when it comes to deployment analysis, ignoring the question of who pays, and why, is just not going to work. We don't need (don't want, and can't) to mandate a business model. I would hope that a sensible recommendation allows for multiple business models. But if we can not even imagine one that works, then it fails.

Okay, here's one I can imagine, even if it might not be politically feasible:

The RIRs pay the Tier 1s to all run PTRs, using fees charged to people who get EID space from them*. More people using LISP, more traffic, more fees, more PTRs...

And another one:

The Tier 1s decide that the cost of deploying PTRs is less than the cost of upgrading routers to handle the routing table growth that will happen if LISP doesn't get deployed widely.

So, that's two business models that I can _imagine_, even if I'm not sure they'd necessarily work in practice. I'd expect there are other models that I haven't thought of yet and that someone will find a way to make money, somehow.

The basic pain point to avoid is dragging in traffic, which does not have money attached, and then having to deliver it a way that doesn't have money attached. Bandwidth and routers are not free.

It's not that simple.  It's a very strange world out there...

I once knew a colo shop that ran an IRC server specifically because the traffic from the near-constant DDoS attacks (which IRC servers naturally attract). The nature of the content biz is that they naturally send far more than they receive; _any_ inbound traffic they can attract is good because it helps balance their peering ratios, which makes other networks more willing to peer with them, which in turn saves them money on transit.

(* I assume the RIRs would distribute EIDs. That also means there would likely be five different EID prefixes and five databases, but that's not a meaningful change to the technical model.)