Re: [RRG] Comments on draft-lewis-lisp-interworking

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 4:31 PM, Stephen Sprunk <stephen@sprunk.org> wrote:
>  The RIRs pay the Tier 1s to all run PTRs, using fees charged to people who
>  get EID space from them*.  More people using LISP, more traffic, more fees,
>  more PTRs.

The RIRs would likely use the NRO as their vehicle so that there's one
central authority. But even if it was possible to get past the
appearance of a money-grab by the megacorps, sorting out the payment
dynamics would be a public policy nightmare of the first order.

>  The Tier 1s decide that the cost of deploying PTRs is less than the cost of
>  upgrading routers to handle the routing table growth that will happen if
>  LISP doesn't get deployed widely.

That rather goes against human nature.

>  I once knew a colo shop that ran an IRC server specifically because the
>  traffic from the near-constant DDoS attacks (which IRC servers naturally
>  attract).  The nature of the content biz is that they naturally send far
>  more than they receive; _any_ inbound traffic they can attract is good
>  because it helps balance their peering ratios, which makes other networks
>  more willing to peer with them, which in turn saves them money on transit.

As crazy as it sounds, this is probably the most realistic scenario
I've heard for deploying a LISP PTR: a small edge organization deploys
it to adjust some completely unrelated traffic factor. Perhaps they
even use it to justify peering in the first place: we know we'd
normally come in shy of your qualifications Mr. Tier1 but if you add
us as a peer at your convenient data center, we'll take care of this
whole LISP PTR thing for you.

Its a hell of a thing to hang a critical-path item on.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin                  herrin@dirtside.com bill@herrin.us