RE: [RRG] Comments on draft-lewis-lisp-interworking

> When geographic addressing (for v6, or even for v4) was
> proposed, one of the big issues, brought forward by the
> providers, was that it would require the provider to accept
> traffic for any customer in the geographic region, and
> deliver it.  This was unacceptable.

Agreed.

?It costs money to have
> infrastructure to handle packets. And no one was / is paying
> for that infrastructure.
> This seems to me to be exactly the same issue as for PTRs as proposed.

It is not, because nothing is said about how the provider who creates a
PTR propagates the PTR routes.  Does he de-aggregate internally?  Does
he send the routes to customers, or to peers, or to both?  The provider
can choose this.  This is the crucial difference from geo addressing.

> There may be a way to deploy PTRs that gets them paid for,
> but I don't know what it is.

I tried to explain the benefits in another email.

> Ignoring economic issues is a recipe for failure.  If no one
> can afford to deploy the solution if it catches on, then they
> will avoid doing so.
>   (Yes, anyone can afford PTRs in the early stage.  That's not the
> question.)
>
> And no, operators don't want to attract traffic.  They may
> want peering relationships (not all want them.) As Peter
> sarcastically but accurately put it at the mike, they want to
> be paid for traffic, but they don't actually want the traffic.

Its been my experience that its hard to sell upgrades to customer links
until you start filling them up.  I well know Peter's point though, it
sure is nice to sell a 10g customer link and have him not use it.
Imagine a customer with links to four providers.  Two of the providers
have PTRs.  Which of the providers are going to see more traffic and
therefore sell upgrades?

-Darrel