Re: [RRG] Comments on draft-lewis-lisp-interworking

On 2008-03-23 06:22, Tony Li wrote:

> |> Simply this: if return packets leaving a LISP site, headed
> |for a non-
> |> LISP
> |> site, use a EID as the source address, then it is highly
> |likely that
> |> the
> |> packets will be dropped due to the source address filtering.
> |
> |That problem exists today with a source address from a PI
> |block. So if
> |you want to deliver such packets, you don't do that today.
>

> Correct, however, today the provider typically will have some involvement in
> distributing the PI advertisement.  This approach implies that the provider
> now must be party to all EID allocations for the site and must make manual
> configurations to allow new allocations.  We all know how well that has
> worked.

Maybe I'm naive, but I'd been assuming that EIDs would in practice be
identically equal to addresses allocated under a registry-allocated
PI prefix.  So the provider can know about the prefix just like today,
even if there's no advertisement. I don't see why that would change
fundamentally, even if the proposed LISP-ALT EID prefix space is used.

   Brian