Re: [RRG] Consensus? End-user networks need their own portable address space

apology for this belated reply. My spring teaching finally came to an end, hope I have more time to catch up RRG now

|> |The point of my argument is that the only possible mechanism is
|> |portability.
|>

|> Provably incorrect: many organizations are very happy
|sitting behind
|> a NAT
|> box.  It provides excellent addressing isolation.
|
|hmm, aren't addresses behind a NAT box portable addresses?

No, they're usually private (RFC 1918) addresses.

Tony

my interpretation of "portable", or not, is by the measure of whether one needs to renumber when changing providers.
By this definition, 1918 addresses are indeed "portable"

someone explained to me privately that Robin's definition of "portable" is equivalent to PI prefixes.

To me a PI prefix has 2 separable meanings: globally uniqueness, and portability.

Lixia