RE: [RRG] Publicly available LISP and shim6 implementations

Luigi,

SEAL is right now implemented as a Linux kernel protocol module, and
used to support tunnel-mode and transport-mode applications. It sounds
like what you need is an application-mode instantiation of SEAL, where
the layering would be something like:

  Inner-IP/LISP-SEAL/UDP/Outer-IP

In that case, to do it at the application layer we would simply need to
pull the 'seal.c' code up into your application and implement some kind
of packet filter that could capture IPv4 first-fragments ICMPv4 "Fragment
Needed" messages at the application layer. That shouldn't be too hard, I
don't think?

I'll desist now since this is vectoring off into discussion that should go
to the other lists. But, I just wanted to have this application-layer
implementation option for SEAL out on the table since it isn't well
documented in the current spec.

Fred
fred.l.templin@boeing.com