Re: [RRG] Six/One Router Design Clarifications

As a quick summary of what I saw so far on this thread of exchanges: to step up a level and focus on the "the highest level branching point" decision, our recent draft explains our current categorization of this highest level branch: separation vs elimination, i.e. separating edge/PI prefixes out of the transit core routing, versus eliminating edge/PI prefixes entirely (i.e. provider-topology aggregatable addresses go all the way inside host/transport)

in this categorization, six/one router's translation approach falls into the same separation category as map & encap.

I see great discussions regarding the pro's and con's from comparing encapsulation and translation; personally I view "encapsulation" as architecturally cleaner, but as the saying goes, every coin has 2 sides, so we also want to see clearly the other side of the coin (the cost), and to see whether there are circumstances where translation approach would be considered. Protocol designs are engineering, and engineering is about making the right trade-offs. I feel that the current discussions on these trade- offs may well carry into IETF engineering phase after RRG makes our highest level design recommendation.

Lixia