Re: [RRG] Re: Does every host need a FQDN name in the future?//re:[RRG] draft-rja-ilnp-intro-01.txt

On 8/11/08 5:19 PM, Iljitsch van Beijnum allegedly wrote:
On 11 aug 2008, at 21:58, Scott Brim wrote:

You can't deprecate identifiers in general. We need identifiers for mobility and for multipath transport.

Two things that don't exist in the real world today...

So no need for those to hold us back.

And don't MIPv6, SCTP and TCP-over-shim6 all use regular IP addresses that come with locator functionality as their ID?

You want something that is stable despite changes in topological location. As Brian says, MIP uses the home address as an identifier -- an anchor point for authentication. I don't know mobile SCTP or shim6 very well (help?) but they seem to use a similar stable anchor point. It seems that none of these use a pure network layer identifier.