[RRG] On identifiers, was: Re: Does every host need a FQDN

On 12 aug 2008, at 19:01, Scott Brim wrote:

And don't MIPv6, SCTP and TCP-over-shim6 all use regular IP addresses that come with locator functionality as their ID?

You want something that is stable despite changes in topological location. As Brian says, MIP uses the home address as an identifier -- an anchor point for authentication. I don't know mobile SCTP or shim6 very well (help?) but they seem to use a similar stable anchor point. It seems that none of these use a pure network layer identifier.

I was talking about SCTP and TCP-over-shim6 in a multipath transport context (although neither are capable of using multiple paths concurrently at this time), not a mobility context. SCTP manages multiple addresses, I don't think any of them are special or stable. shim6 uses the addresses used by the upper layer (such as TCP) as the stable identifier, but it also requires these addresses to be working locators at the time the shim6 capability is negotiated and other locators are exchanged.

Let's inventory what we need identifiers for:

1. demultiplexing
2. access control
3. error detection
4. referrals

And what we need locators for:

5. forwarding packets
6. sending back control messages

Note that all of these uses of identifiers can be limited to the application or session layers so there is no need for identifiers to appear in any layer 3 or 4 headers - if we don't mind changing applications and APIs to map application layer identifiers to transport and lower layer locators.

But changing applications is a non-starter, because the number of applications is so huge and application writers simply lack the knowledge to interact with the network properly. After 10 years there are still applications that don't know how to work over IPv6, for instance.

Now NOT changing applications means that the identifiers must look a lot like regular IP addresses. With shim6, we avoided a mapping system at significant cost: we need assistence from applications when the initially chosen identifier is not currently a reachable locator. Also, shim6 feedback indicates that a pure host solution is not what most people want, and requiring changes on both ends is a big deployment barrier.

If we want to do all of this in middleboxes we pretty much end up in LISP territory. The data plane issues with that are fairly well understood by now, but this requires a identifier-to-locator mapping service, which is not that well understood currently.

Do we have consensus yet on what would be the best place to solve the problem?