Re: [RRG] On identifiers, was: Re: Does every host need a FQDN

> Let's inventory what we need identifiers for:
>
> 1. demultiplexing
> 2. access control
> 3. error detection
> 4. referrals

What about session labels, e.g. for security associations? That
is more than demultiplexing.

What about multipath management? Again, that seems more than
just demultiplexing.

> And what we need locators for:
>
> 5. forwarding packets
> 6. sending back control messages
>
> Note that all of these uses of identifiers can be limited to the
> application or session layers so there is no need for identifiers to
> appear in any layer 3 or 4 headers -

True, but they will "appear" invisibly in transport and cryptographic
checksums. Decoupling these from locator-addresses seems to be
a feature (among other things, it makes NAT transparent to checksums).

> if we don't mind changing
> applications and APIs to map application layer identifiers to transport
> and lower layer locators.
>
> But changing applications is a non-starter, because the number of
> applications is so huge and application writers simply lack the
> knowledge to interact with the network properly. After 10 years there
> are still applications that don't know how to work over IPv6, for instance.
>
> Now NOT changing applications means that the identifiers must look a lot
> like regular IP addresses.

More precisely, it means we can't change the socket API, so I think
a shim in the socket layer may be the way to go.

   Brian