Re: [RRG] Re: Fast and sparse mapping?

On 2008-09-20 04:53, Scott Brim wrote:
> On 9/18/08 5:33 PM, Brian E Carpenter allegedly wrote:
>>> Do you really mean that?  Are you really suggesting that we engineer routing
>>> for 2^48 prefixes?
>> No. I still believe that the natural limit is somewhere around 10 million
>> PI prefixes, or just conceivably 100 million, so my target range is
>> 2^23 to 2^27.
>
> How is this a 'natural limit'?  Could you review how you got there?  My
> totally casual estimate is that 2^27 is reasonable but that we had
> better engineer for 2^30.

10 million is my rough estimate for the number of medium-sized and larger
businesses that would exist in a fully developed world of 10 billion
people (i.e. one such business per thousand people). 100 million
is an upper limit - one multihomed network per hundred people - at
that level even the dentist's offices are multihomed.

I don't think we need to design for a world where most domestic subscribers
are multihomed, or care in the least if they get a new IP address
each time they connect.

    Brian