Re: [RRG] Re: Fast and sparse mapping?

Brian,

On Sep 20, 2008, at 7:08 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
I don't think we need to design for a world where most domestic subscribers
are multihomed, or care in the least if they get a new IP address
each time they connect.

I would classify this as a failure of imagination. If RRG is indeed aiming at 10 to 20 years in the future, I would be quite astonished if an underlying assumption is that the way the Internet is today is the way it will be one to two decades in the future, just bigger.

My assumption is that as people become more and more dependent on Internet connectivity for their day-to-day lives, the less interested they will be in periodic outages. When the myriad devices in your house depend on being connected to the Internet and you have a wide variety of layer 2 technologies over which to connect (e.g., WiMax, FTTH, Cable, DSL, and their successors), I fully expect most domestic subscribers to be multihomed. Actually, I expect it to be worse than that -- I can very easily imagine multi-homed PANs connected to multiple providers via cell phone-as-router-equivalents.

As such, in my opinion, a design that does not anticipate (or at least cannot scale with) massive multihoming would be a waste of time.

FWIW.

Regards,
-drc