Re: [RRG] Re: Fast and sparse mapping?

Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
How helpful would it be if the prefixes were non-sparse? I.e., 2^25 prefixes out of a /26.

Currently the RIRs are being extra sparse on purpose (reserving a /44 for everyone who gets a /48) and I've long argued that this doesn't have the intended helpful effect in practice but it is harmful because of the increased sparseness.

The RIRs were told by operators that limiting the total number of routes (by allowing room for growth thus removing the need for most orgs to come back for additional blocks) was more important than keeping the space densely populated.

We are barely at the point where routers could theoretically handle a densely-populated 32-bit route table, years away from being able to handle a densely-populated 48-bit route table, and pushing either through BGP-4 is patently impossible. So, I tend to think the operators had it right.