Alternatively, it could be an implementation matter and, as is the case in this draft, a matter left unstated in the specification (and left as an implementation decision).

regards,

  Geoff

At 12:37 AM 17/01/2006, Spencer Dawkins wrote:
I'm not sure what the "costs" are in this statement. Are we just saying that we're balancing the processing time to figure out that we no longer have to encapsulate against the encapsulation overhead? or are you thinking of something else?

Spencer
----- Original Message -----
From: <mailto:pierre@baume.org>Pierre Baume
To: <mailto:gih@apnic.net>Geoff Huston
Cc: <mailto:shim6@psg.com>shim6@psg.com ; <mailto:erik.nordmark@sun.com>erik.nordmark@sun.com ; <mailto:marcelo@it.uc3m.es>marcelo@it.uc3m.es
Sent: Monday, January 16, 2006 2:55 AM
Subject: Re: Review comments on draft-ietf-shim6-proto-03.txt

Hi Geoff and all,

On 1/16/06, Geoff Huston <<mailto:gih@apnic.net>gih@apnic.net> wrote:
[...]

> 9 - section 11 - Sending ULP payloads
>
> As a meta consideration here, is there any logical reason to prefer the
> initial ULIDs as locators?

For what it's worth, I don't think that this belongs within the protocol. The protocol should make it possible (maybe via a negotiation), but the decision needs to be left to the hosts (and their parameters/options). They might want it in some cases and in some cases not. It depends on the 'costs' associated with the ULID pairs.

Pierre.