Re: [tcpm] TCP, DCCP, v6, and ICMP soft errors [draft-ietf-v6ops-v6onbydefault-01]

At 06:54 19/07/2004 -0700, Eddie Kohler wrote:

If Dest. Unreachable is frequently transient, that strengthens my case. If it's very infrequently transient, that strengthens draft-gont-tcpm-tcp-soft-errors.
That would strength your case if someone were proposing to abort connnections in *any* state.
No. Dest unreachables might commonly be received at the beginning of a connection -- as a laptop wakes up, say.

Not sure what configuration you're thinking of.
A laptop connected to a network by means of an Ethernet, for example, won't elicit an ICMP Destination Unreacheable. The upstream router will send the ARP request, which will never be responded. In case there was an entry in the ARP cache, the segment *will* be sent on the network segment, but it won't elicit an ICMP Destination Unreacheable, either.

I would expect them to be more common at the beginning of a connection than the middle.

Not sure why you think so.

-- Fernando Gont e-mail: fernando@gont.com.ar || fgont@acm.org