Re: [v6tc] Re: Tunneling and Transition Drafts

On Apr 13, 2005, at 5:01 PM, Ronald.vanderPol@rvdp.org wrote:
But it also misses something basic - the value that IPv6 brings to the party is mostly related to increasing the address pool. If that is not true, if we have enough IPv4 addresses that we can build parallel networks everywhere, then we don't need a new protocol in the first place. If it is true (and it is) then you have to assume that there will be edge networks and service networks that are IPv6-only or IPv6-dominant pretty early - pick your reason. Once you have an IPv6-only/dominant service network, you have the question of IPv4 hosts having to use it to communicate over it, IPv6-only/dominant hosts needing to communicate over IPv4-only/dominant networks, and IPv6-only hosts needing to communicate with IPv4-only hosts.

You seem to assume also that upgrading the IPv4-only network to dual stack is not an option.

No. I presume that it is optional, and I know of a number of networks that as we speak are deploying in a form that Jim Bound at the March meeting described as "ipv6-only"or "ipv6-dominant". IPv6-only is what it sounds like; IPv6-dominant is the case where a network deploys dual stacked but offers no IPv4 service to its customers.

Isn't the main reason for tunneling the fact that too few networks are deploying IPv6? Trying to force IPv6 deployment by creating complicated tunnel overlays seems to me like wrong engineering.

In the discussion I had with a university network this afternoon, it was to connect the IPv4 islands over the central IPv6 infrastructure.

Yes, we had that discussion too, and continue to have it. But I have never particularly noticed that the fact that I thought my customer was doing something unnecessarily self-limiting ever made much of a dent.