RE: [RAM] Request to advance RFC4214 to Proposed Standard

Fred,

Responding only to this one point for now:

> In short, this
> is not just "an" approach to coexistence; if the IPv6 Operations
> Working Group is going to put its imprimatur on a technology,
> I would want to know that we were recommending the *right* one.

What ISATAP is good for is providing a link for connecting dual-
stack routers within Mobile Ad-Hoc Networks (MANETs), as well as
mechanisms for autoconfiguration and discovery of multiple Internet
gateways. It is important to note that the term "MANET" could mean
anything from mobile platforms (planes, trains and automobiles), to a
home network, to a singleton node with an aribtarily-complex network
of physical or virtual nodes within. For other examples, please see
the thread on "Real-life Deploymnet of MANETs" on the MANET mailing
list:

  http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/manet/current/msg09029.html

Informational aspects of the operation of ISATAP are documented
in "MANET Autoconfiguration"; see:

  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-templin-autoconf-dhcp-07.txt

but please note that this work (as well as ISATAP itself) derived
from an earlier work titled: "Virtual Ethernet".

Important point is that for the use-case of dual-stack routers
communicating within a MANET, ISATAP already provides a mechanism
that satisfies the needs of the IETF AUTOCONF wg and the so-called
"MANEMO" interest group. Plus, it is shipping in major vendor OS's
today.

Thanks - Fred
fred.l.templin@boeing.com