Re: Request to advance rfc4214(bis) to standards-track through ADsponsorship

For the record:

RFC 2026 states that:

   The Last-Call period shall be no shorter than two weeks except in
   those cases where the proposed standards action was not initiated by
an IETF Working Group, in which case the Last-Call period shall be no
   shorter than four weeks.

In other words, a sponsoring AD can take a document to PS with IESG concurrence and a four week IETF last call.

That said, I will tell you what I told Ron I think the process should be here.

First, if there is a working group whose job is to write standards in the area, I think it is the province of that working group. As I read charters, this is the province of the softwire working group. The question of whether ISATAP goes to PS should be decided there,

Second, we have (as has been observed) a list of equally-experimental transition strategies. If anyone takes this up - v6ops, Mark Townsley, or whoever - then I think we should be fairly hard-nosed about it. We need one way that is guaranteed to work, and I have that in RFCs 4213 and 4241. It is "bring up IPv6 networking and IPv6 infrastructure services (DNS etc) in parallel with IPv4 networking and infrastructure services and let end systems use whatever works". In an IPv4-only network, I need an IPv6/IPv4 tunneling strategy, and in an IPv6-only network I need an IPv4/IPv6 tunneling strategy. I'm not sure I need either of those strategies to be dynamic; I need the ability to place a tunnel where needed. So if we are going to describe a dynamic system beyond RFC 4213's version of a Dual Stack and the ability to tunnel, someone needs to decide on a set of criteria for deciding what the minimal set of "right" solutions are. I think we should then take that minimal set (including RFC 4213) to PS.

Cherry-picking any single thing and standardizing it (including Teredo IMHO) without having done that analysis does a disservice to the guy who has to implement it, in the end. He winds up having to implement every strategy that comes along.