Re: The argument for writing a general purpose NAT for IPv6

On Apr 19, 2007, at 07:39, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

However, let me propose a different direction for solving this: rather than waiting until a port number is selected, put into a control stream, then intercept that control stream, recover the port number and open up the firewall, why not simply set aside a range of port numbers for these types of purposes and let those through the firewall?

With IPv4 this wouldn't work because there has to be a mapping between an private and a public address, but with IPv6 that's not necessary.

An RTSP server may put any IPv6 address in the source attribute of a Transport header, so these ports would have to be open at all times to the whole Internet. An RTSP server may *also* put any pair of UDP port numbers (starting on an even number) in the client_port attribute of a Transport header, so the ports that would have to be opened to the whole Internet include a very wide range, potentially *all* of them.

You're telling me that the way to solve the problem is allow all UDP packets through the filter. And that's just to make RealPlayer and Quicktime work properly. What about IPsec (without the ESP encapsulated in UDP) using ISAKMP? Should I just pass all ESP packets through too? I don't think this proposal will be met with much enthusiasm by the security experts at Apple who are already smarting over the embarrassing discovery noted earlier.

I'd like to direct members of the group interested in continuing this discussion about IPv6 filtering behaviors to the ongoing discussion in the BEHAVE working group.

--
j h woodyatt <jhw@apple.com>