Re: Distributing site-wide RFC 3484 policy

This is a standard issue in any policy distribution mechanism -
if there are two sources for policy (e.g. local and central),
which one wins? That needs to be defined in the mechanism.
Sometimes, the site-wide policy will win, because the IT Management
has authority.
Non-local policy belongs to an Interface. The "Home network interface" policy discusses what you can do via that interface, the "Corporate VPN" policy describes what you can use the Corporate VPN for.

Local policy is how you merge these policies. eg say I have three interfaces on my laptop at the moment:

* Wireless to my home network.
The policy for this says "prefer me preferentially for the local network stuffs" "I provide a native v6 internet connection (ie, globally scoped addresses can be sent this way", etc

* VPN to my corporate workplace
The policy for this says "You can connect to local corporate services preferentially" "Provide non-preferential access to some services such as an Internet connection"

* IP over the cellular network (GPRS, CDMA, EVDO whatever)
This policy for this says "I can provide an internet connection"

Local policy says "treat wireless + vpn as equal, then below that prefer cellular connection". Thus the policies all get merged together to end up with:

If it's for the local home network use the wireless      High Priority
If it's for the company addresses, use the VPN            High Priority

If it's for a normal (globally scoped) address, use the wireless Medium Priority

If it's for a globally scoped address, use the VPN         Low Priority
If it's for a globally scoped address, use the expensive, slow cellphone Low Priority

Thus a networks responsibility is to present what features it has and how that network wants to be used (what source addresses it recommends for what, what connections it's willing to provide). Local policy is how to choose between different networks on it's various interfaces. Local policy could in theory override one given to it by the network, but of course if it tries to do something the network doesn't provide reachability towards it won't work.