RE: DHCP failures (was RE: Do you want to have more meetings outsi de US ?)

People that prefer to use DHCP should have the tools to do that (an RA
should still inform hosts that DHCP is the mechanism this network uses).
People that prefer to avoid the costs associated with that independent
service should have the tools to do that through the RA. Hosts should accept
configuration information from either. The IETF's job is to specify the
tools, not the operational deployment model.

Jari's misguided issue about multiple mechanisms only becomes valid when it
is not possible to deploy an operational network without both (see the
Chicago fiasco). There are financial reasons for each deployment model, and
there is no real conflict between them. The IETF needs to stop trying to
force the world to go a particular way and just make sure each deployment
model is complete. That means adding the DHCP options Ralph is talking
about, as well as the RA options that fill the gap on that side.

Tony