RE: DHCP vs. RA... again.

> Uh, I hope you guys aren't serious.  Probably all host-side DHCPv6
> implementations always try to run DHCP regardless of RA bits.  It
> DHCPv6 server doesn't exist.. so what, at worst, a rogue server could
> feed you bad information but that would already be possible with ND/RA

> forgeries.  If it does, bingo.

I wonder how much of this comes down to common sense in some
circumstances, e.g., if a node that is inclined to do DHCPv6
comes up on a link over which no RAs are heard, why would it
want to do an RS/RA exchange only to be told "go use DHCPv6"?
Wouldn't it make more sense for the node to just send the
DHCPv6 Solicit w/o incurring the extra round-trip?

Fred
fred.l.templin@boeing.com