Re: [69ATTENDEES] DHCP

Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
On 14-sep-2007, at 16:21, Kevin Loch wrote:
or DHCP with RA turned off

DHCPv6 without manual configuration or RAs doesn't work because DHCPv6 can't tell you your default gateway.

That can be fixed (and I'm sure it will).

You could also consider learning gateways from vrrp announcements.

Look at that, someone bothered to do work on VRRP for IPv6. That was a waste of time, because router advertisements and dead neighbor detection give you the same functionality without the need to configure stuff.

RA's are great in certain situations, and I use it on some subnets but
we must have a full set of tools that work with RA turned off.
There are situations where I cannot have hosts (servers in particular)
autoconfigure addresses or gateways, even accidentally.

- Kevin