Re: "DNS-4to6 automatic mapping" - No more DNS-ALGs & 6then4 DNSqueries

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 12:50:24PM -0600, todd@fries.net wrote:
> Why does an app have to explicitly ask for AAAA queries?
>
> Why can I not write apps that expect that getaddrinfo() when passed a hint
> of AF_UNSPEC .. will return all addresses, v6 or v4?

Sure you can, but what's the benefit for that application?

Actually this is nitpicking.  The *real* problem is that the systems need a
"connect me to this host*name*" system/library call, that will handle all
the underlying combinations and do the right thing, depending on system
preferences and capabilities.

Forcing each application to invent its own getaddrinfo()/loop-over-addresses
loop, possibly delaying connections due to IPv6 or IPv4 blackholes "out
there" (because normally this isn't done in parallel, but in sequence),
is just "last century coding".

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  110584

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279