Re: new version of draft-narten-ipv6-3177bis-48boundary-03.txt

On Dec 4, 2007, at 17:13, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
On 2007-12-05 09:11, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
So I'd like to see /60 for consumers and /48 for anyone who feels /60 isn't enough.

Are you sure that 16 subnets is enough for a large family house with
entertainment, building services, and home office all running on
various technologies? I'm not, but I'm pretty sure /56 is enough.

I'm pretty sure /60 isn't big enough over the foreseeable future. I'm *also* not sure that /56 is big enough. I'm concerned about a problem I can see arising in a world of zero-configuration IPv6 router/firewalls that implement "CPE simple security" by default, and they're scattered around the interior of residential networks, i.e. all over inside people's homes— possibly because they are integrated into consumer devices that require expert users to turn them off.

I'm foreseeing these devices negotiating with one another what subnets to advertise in much the same way that Appletalk routers once did— like back in the old hellish days when people could just buy routers, plug them together and they'd just work without people having to configure them with all kinds of arcane code numbers.

--
james woodyatt <jhw@apple.com>
member of technical staff, communications engineering