Re: VoIP peering & routing protocols (revisited)

At 01:53 AM 4/20/2005, John Todd wrote:

At 11:15 AM -1000 on 4/19/05, Randy Bush wrote:
does DUNDi not have the additional problem of not being open-license?

randy

While I am not familiar with the intricacies of GPL vs. limited GPL vs. [fill in license X], I will say that the DUNDi protocol was developed with the intention of becoming an RFC, so I would hope that the intent was to make the protocol a license-free effort, even though there is certainly good precedent for that not being the case on other standards proposals <coughMICROSOFTcough>.

The Asterisk folks have not submited a draft as a proposed working group item in ENUM where it would logically come.

And as the co-chair of the ENUM WG IMHO the WG would have no problem looking at it.

While the Asterisk implementation of DUNDi may currently be under the Asterisk/Digium modified/limited GPL, I don't know if the protocol itself is under the same license scheme. I would suspect "No", but simple questions like this tend to take up far too much time on various mailing lists, so no assumption is safe. I typically delete those conversation threads, as they typically contain hysteria, ignorance, or arrogance in varying blends and quantities. I would suggest that everyone who has an interest in such things to talk to a lawyer for firm determination thereof, or move to a country where such questions are legally irrelevant.

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
46000 Center Oak Plaza  -   Sterling, VA  20166
sip:rshockey(at)iptel.org   sip:57141@fwd.pulver.com
ENUM +87810-13313-31331
PSTN Office +1 571.434.5651 PSTN Mobile: +1 703.593.2683,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto:richard(at)shockey.us> or <mailto:richard.shockey(at)neustar.biz>
<http://www.neustar.biz> ; <http://www.enum.org>