Re: WL Development

At Thu, 14 Jan 2010 19:33:37 +0100,
Vitaly Mayatskikh wrote:

> At Thu, 14 Jan 2010 10:32:02 -0500, David Abrahams wrote:
>
> > I wonder if somebody could explain to me how WL development works,
> > e.g.:
> >
> > * Who works on it?
> > * Who is the project leader, if any?
> > * What areas of responsibility are covered by others?
> > * How do releases get made?
> > * Where does the development community "hang out?"
> >
> > I'm sure there are other questions in this general area that I'm
> > forgetting to ask.
>
> AFAIK, there's no active development community anymore. I subscribed
> for the list 1+ year ago, and see only sporadic attempts of few people
> to solve they own problems (most of them are common, however). I
> solved my problems, at least, the most annoying, but don't have
> willpower to push changes to cvs. Not to tell, some of "solutions"
> were reinvention of wheel due to lack of good documentation ;)

Oof.  Maybe we should just start a WL-EN community using Git and
ignore the cvs repo or merge its changes in periodically (e.g. see the
patch I gisted).

I wanted to improve Gnus' IMAP implementation years ago but found the
"architecture" of that system completely intractable.

> This situation is very unfortunate, because Wanderlust seems to be the
> best IMAP client, not only in Emacs world.

Yes, I am getting that impression... at least, in many ways.  And the
source seems to be graspable, if under-commented.

> However, I was surprised by
> huge amount of traffic in the mail list when got back from vacation :)

This list, the Japanese one, or...?

--
Dave Abrahams           Meet me at BoostCon: http://www.boostcon.com
BoostPro Computing