Further Conversation View / org-wl-store-link Enhancements

At Mon, 11 Oct 2010 23:23:48 -0700,
Erik Hetzner wrote:

> At Sat, 02 Oct 2010 20:58:12 -0400,
> David Abrahams wrote:
> > I have made some significant enhancements to this, which you can view
> > at
> > http://github.com/dabrahams/elisp/commit/2153e812e470d95342889606ebcdf451d3b9223b#L0R740
> >
> > In particular:
> >
> > * wl-summary-visit-conversation now not only opens the thread, but
> >   takes you to the current message in that Summary buffer.
> >
> > * Used with a prefix argument, it will return you to the exact message
> >   you were viewing.
> >
> > * org-store-link, with the advice at
> >   http://github.com/dabrahams/elisp/commit/2153e812e470d95342889606ebcdf451d3b9223b#L0R790
> >   will store a link that takes you to the message in its thread
> >   context.
>
> Hi David,
>
> Thanks, these are great! I have added a few new changes myself to
> yours:
>
> * fix a problem with 'no-sync being passed to
> wl-summary-goto-folder-subr; this is fast but when the previous
> summary was not sticky it needs an update. If we keep track of the
> sticky state of the previous summary we can use 'no-sync if possible
> but 'update if necessary.
>
> * allow multiple all folders via a wl-all-folder-alist which consists
> of regexes and folders. If you are in a summary buffer then it tries
> each regex against the current folder name & returns all the cdrs of
> the matched alists. The search function then uses multi folders if
> there are multiple matching all folders.
>
> (This was needed for me because I have a “work” all folder and a
> “home” all folder.)
>
> I also added a wl-open-message-view function to help out with an
> org-mode feature (see below).
>
> I added a wl-conversation.el file to my new-imap4-search branch:
>
>   http://github.com/egh/wanderlust/tree/new-imap4-search

Are all the improvements you cited above in that branch?

Also, I just realized I need to store a link when I send mail, too.
That change is in:

  https://github.com/dabrahams/elisp/commit/dd33d9d4da4216ee85bef0303d7fb392bcbb9686

> Regarding org-mode, I am going to propose to the org-mode list a mid:
> link (similar to RFC 2392). It has always kind of bothered me that org
> mode mail links are tied to a folder & a mail reader.

Did you make that proposal?  And how did it go over?

> Wouldn’t it be better if we could use:
>
>   [[mid:m2pqvs5byz.wl%dave@boostpro.com][Email from David Abrahams: Conversation View / org-wl-sto]]
>
> instead? Here is a starting point, based on your code;
>
> (defadvice org-wl-store-link-message (after org-wl-store-link activate protect)
>   (if (string= (substring ad-return-value 0 3) "wl:")
>       (let* ((thread-location (wl-current-thread-location))
>              (message-id-no-brackets (org-remove-angle-brackets (car thread-location)))
>              (link (org-make-link "mid:" message-id-no-brackets)))
>         (org-add-link-props :link link)
>         (setq ad-return-value link)
>     )))
>
> (defun org-wl-capture ())
>
> (org-add-link-type "mid" 'org-mid-open)
>
> (defun org-mid-open (path)
>   "Follow the MID link specified by PATH."
>   (wl-open-message-view  (concat "<" path ">")))

Yeah, unfortunately that doesn't save enough information to get back
to the full conversation.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing