Re: Forward: [wanderlust] Change elmo-message-fetch-threshold default value to nil. (#37)

At Mon, 10 Sep 2012 18:17:24 -0700,
Erik Hetzner wrote:

> At Mon, 10 Sep 2012 05:35:59 +0900,
> Randy Bush wrote:
> >
> > > If there are no objections I'll commit this proposed modification
> > > 2012-09-23.
> >
> > why?
> >
> > first, i travel for work too much and am oftn in very bad bandwidth
> > situations.
> >
> > yes, i can hack it back in my .wl.  but the converse is also true.
>
> Hi Randy,
>
> I submitted this request because a previous person on the mailing list
> asked how not to be prompted about large emails, and I myself have it
> set to nil, because I prefer not to be prompted. I don’t really care
> one way or the other, I just think that WL’s default variable settings
> should be what the majority prefer, and I suspect in this case most
> users prefer nil.
>
> But perhaps it would be better if we set up a poll for list users of
> WL variables that are often changed, so that we can ensure that the
> default settings work for most people. For instance, I would guess
> that the following settings, though not the current defaults, are
> often overriden in a users ~/.wl file:
>
>       elmo-message-fetch-threshold nil
>       mime-edit-split-message nil
>       wl-draft-always-delete-myself t
>       wl-fcc-force-as-read t
>       wl-forward-subject-prefix "Fwd: "
>
> best, Erik

Well, if you're asking my opinion.... If you're not ready to dive into
the  docs deep  and  tweak to  taste then  Wanderlust (nor Emacs)  is
probably not for  you.  That said, I think  what Wanderlust's defaults
pertaining to thresholds should be set to something sane so that those
just  beginning  to explore  Wanderlust  don't  inadvertently get  bit
before they have  chance to get to  grips with said docs.   It's not a
big deal to adjust threshold's larger if you need to do so.

In regards to the settings delineated above, my settings are:

- elmo-message-fetch-threshold 30000
- mime-edit-split-message nil
- wl-draft-always-delete-myself t
- wl-fcc-force-as-read t
- wl-forward-subject-prefix "Fwd: "

So I've tweaked all but the first in your list.  I am usually on a
100BaseT LAN connection to the IMAP store, but I like keeping the
bloated nonsense that I sometimes need to scan at bay.  The
conservative setting also saves me from having to remember to adjust
down lower on those infrequent instances when I am not because I'd
probably forget.

But that's just me and this is 2012 and I imagine most places have
pretty decent bandwidth by now, so tough call.

My $0.02, fwiw...

Regards-- Ken