Re: WL displays only header ... no MIME buttons or content (was: Forward: Opinion Today: The Deafness Before the Storm)

At Sun, 23 Sep 2012 20:07:08 -0400,
Peter Davis wrote:

> At Sun, 23 Sep 2012 20:00:05 -0400,
> Peter Davis wrote:
> >
> > At Sun, 23 Sep 2012 10:35:45 +0200,
> > David Maus wrote:
> > >
> > > [1  <text/plain; US-ASCII (quoted-printable)>]

> > > From my understanding of SEMI the rendering method is selected based
> > > on the MIME type (cf. `mime-preview-condition'). You could check the
> > > value of `mime-preview-condition' if the HTML message is not rendered
> > > with w3m.
> > >
> > > There should be a dispatch to `mime-w3m-preview-text/html' -- if it is
> > > there instrument the function (C-M-x), reopen the message and step
> > > through it.
> > >

> > Well, I no sooner wrote my previous message then WL decided to let me
> > view the thread after all. I think I just did 'p' and then 'n' to get
> > back to the first message in the thread, and suddenly I could see the
> > thread in the Summary window.
>
> Ok, I sent a reply to David's message a few minutes ago from Mutt, but
> apparently that didn't go through. This one, which retracts the
> complaint about the thread not expanding in WL, did.
>
> Anyway, David, I did examine mime-preview-condition. It looked like
> reasonable code that would conditionally handle various MIME types and
> subtypes, though I don't really know enough lisp to know much about
> it.

It's a tree that is used to find the function that handles a
particular MIME media type. Look for an entry for the type `text',
e.g. here I have:

,----[ C-h v mime-preview-condition RET
|  (text subtype
|        (plain body
| 	      (visible body-presentation-method
| 		       (wl-mime-display-text/plain major-mode
| 						   (wl-original-message-mode))))
|        (html body
| 	     (visible body-presentation-method
| 		      (mime-w3m-preview-text/html)))
|        (t body
| 	  (visible body-presentation-method
| 		   (mime-display-text/plain)))
|        (richtext body
| 		 (visible body-presentation-method
| 			  (mime-display-text/richtext)))
|        (enriched body
| 		 (visible body-presentation-method
| 			  (mime-display-text/enriched))))
`----

As you can see in my case SEMI will use `mime-w3m-preview-text/html'
to present text/html entities.

Is there an entry for text/html if the HTML entity is /not/ rendered?

C-M-x refers to Emacs' debugger, edbug

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-lisp-intro/html_node/edebug.html

C-h f mime-w3m-preview-text/html RET

to locate the function and then

C-u C-M-x ;; Control and Meta and x at the same time

to enable the debugger for this function. Next time this function is
called the debugger takes control and lets you step through the
function with SPC.

Best,
  -- David

--