Re: SMTP port specification

On Tue, 4 Dec 2012 10:19:02 -0500
Haines Brown <haines@histomat.net> wrote:

> David, very interesting and helpful.
>
> On Tue, Dec 04, 2012 at 05:37:19AM +0100, David Maus wrote:
> > At Mon, 3 Dec 2012 14:35:48 -0500,
> >
> > Is there a buffer called `*trace of SMTP session to …*`
>
> I didn't know it was there. It reads in its entirety:
>
>   250-VRFY
>   250-ETRN
>   250-STARTTLS
>   250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
>   250-AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN
>   250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
>   250-8BITMIME
>   250 D

250 DSN

> I get feeling last line should be "STARTTSL", and there was instead an
> unintelligible command which seems to have brought the negotiation to
> an abrupt halt.
>
> But more interesting is the content of the *Messages* buffer. I got:
>
> 1 UTC', SHA-1 fingerprint `d23209ad23d314232174e40d7f9d62139786633a'
> - The hostname in the certificate does NOT match
> 'mail.HistoricalMaterialism.info'

Have you tried the hostname that matches the one in the certificate
(CN=*omnis.com): mail.omnis.com

% dig +short mail.HistoricalMaterialism.info
216.239.128.27
% dig +short mail.omnis.com
216.239.128.27

> I don't understand why, if TLS has failed, negotiation then proceeds.
>
> In any case, there does seem to be an obvious problem at the end. The
> host certificate does not match the name of my mail server. However,
> the name of the server seems correct, for I use it all the time with
> exim. My exim configuration has:
>
>   Hostname of outgoing smarthost: mail.HistoricalMaterialism.info::587

If you have a working exim on your machine, just try:

(setq wl-smtp-posting-port 25)
(setq wl-smtp-posting-server "localhost")

wl-smtp-(posting-user|connection-type|authenticate-type) should be
nil.

--
Herbert