Re: SMTP port specification

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 09:41:20PM +0100, Herbert J. Skuhra wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Nov 2012 13:22:32 -0500

> Have you tried to set/change wl-default-spec?
>
> (setq wl-default-spec "&")

Unclear where this should go, but tried it in both .wl and .emacs. Had
no luck.

> > The other petty question is that I'm using a custom emacs init file at
> > this point for wl, and I'd like that session of emacs to run wl
> > automatically when the emacs session is started, without having then
> > to issue the command M-x wl.
>
> You can run "emacs -f wl" or put (wl) at the end of your .emacs file.

Yes, I had good luck with both. But subsequent to trying them, wl now
thinks my mail server is IMAP. Previously it produced this error only
when I told wl not to do pending process proceses and to clear.
Otherwise, wl worked just fine. I get the error

   (file-error "make client process failed" "connection refused" :name
  "IMAP" :buffer #<buffer *IMAP session for haines@localhost:143> :host
  "localhost" :service 143).

I found the "out" group was causing problems, so in .folders I used
wl-fldmgr to remove these lines and I commented .elmp/passwd.

  out{
  %drafts
  %outbox/out
  %queue
  }

I get the feeling the "%" under some conditions is telling wl that I'm
using an IMAP server, and this information gets stored somewhere even
when the out group is remvoved by wl-fldmgr.

Now when I start wl, I'm prompted for the PW when it checks the mail
server. And this works. However, when I go to send a test message, I
get the error:

  (smtp-response-error 550 "5.7.1 <unknown[108.196.77.165]>: Client host
  rejected: Authentication failed, please enable SMTP Authentication in
  your email client")

Or I get:

  (wrong-type-argument arrayp nil)
  [smtp-server recipients id err smtp-sasl-user-name smtp-sasl-mechanisms
  wl-draft-write-sendlog failed smtp smtp-response-error 535
  elmo-remove-passwd format "SMTP:%s/%s@%s" signal server mechanism user] 6)

I suspect that this is because the message is being sent to the
port/service of the POP server, 110.

I'm back where I started. The solution before was to purge and
reinstall wl. I can't rely on it if my configuration gets messed up so readily.

I'm not sure what these drafts, out, and queue folders are for. I've
relied on mutt, which does not use them. Do I really need them? They
don't seem to get used. Are they really only usefulyy if one is using an
IMAP server?

Haines Brown