Re: SMTP port specification

On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 11:12:24PM +0100, Herbert J. Skuhra wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 14:44:20 -0500
> Haines Brown <haines@histomat.net> wrote:
>
> > Herbert, this must try your patience even more than mine. I followed
> > your suggestions and this is what my .wl looks like:
> >
> >   (setq
> >   wl-smtp-connection-type 'starttls
> >   wl-smtp-posting-user "brownh@historicalmaterialism.info"
> >   wl-smtp-posting-server "mail.historicalMaterialism.info"
> >   wl-local-domain "historicalMaterialism.info"
> >   wl-message-id-domain "HistoricalMaterialism.info"
> >   wl-smtp-posting-port 587
> >   wl-smtp-authenticate-type "plain"
> >   wl-smtp-authenticate-type "login"
> >   )
>
> Use either plain or login, not both. The latter just overrides the
> former. Have you also tried without 'wl-smtp-connection-type'?

I tried one and the other, and then here both together on possibility
it meant the login was in plain text vs encrypted. In either case I
get (wrong-type-argument arrayp nil) error. In exim4 I have "mail is
sent out by smarthost", but indication of login method. Problem is
that I just assumed that a normal SMTP server would have you login
with uid and pw, and I don't know what "plain" means.

> Is this your complete .wl? Where do you set wl-from?

I had tried to pare things down to the minimum. This is my current
.wl:

  (setq smtp-debug t)
  (setq debug-on-error t)

  (setq wl-summary-toggle-mime "mime")
  (require 'mime-w3m)
  (setq mime-edit-split-message nil)
  (setq wl-draft-reply-buffer-style 'full)

  (autoload 'wl-user-agent-compose "wl-draft" nil t)
    (if (boundp 'mail-user-agent)
        (setq mail-user-agent 'wl-user-agent))
    (if (fboundp 'define-mail-user-agent)
        (define-mail-user-agent
          'wl-user-agent
          'wl-user-agent-compose
          'wl-draft-send
          'wl-draft-kill
          'mail-send-hook))

  (setq elmo-imap4-default-authenticate-type 'clear)

  (setq
  ;; wl-smtp-connection-type 'starttls
  elmo-maildir-folder-path "~/Mail"              ;; where I can store my mail.
  wl-stay-folder-window t                        ;; show folder pane
  wl-smtp-posting-user "brownh@historicalmaterialism.info"
  wl-smtp-posting-server "mail.historicalMaterialism.info"
  wl-local-domain "historicalMaterialism.info"
  wl-message-id-domain "HistoricalMaterialism.info"
  wl-smtp-posting-port 587
  ;; wl-smtp-authenticate-type "plain"
  wl -smtp-authenticate-type "login"
  wl-from "Haines Brown <Haines@histomat.net>"
  )

The first two lines were added at your suggestion, but don't give a
more verbose debug (I have .emacs set up to give me debut info). The
TLS line was added at your suggestion, but I commented it because I
don't use TLS as far as I know. In .emacs I have:

  (autoload 'wl "wl" "Wanderlust" t)

I reloaded emacs and wanderlust and when I use the above values I get
briefly in the minibuffer:

  Opening STARTTLS connection to mail.historicalmaterialism.info:587 ... done

If I commented the connection-type 'starttls, why would it try to open
a TLS connection?

Then the dubug message:

  Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument arrayp nil)
    signal(wrong-type-argument (arrayp nil))
    byte-code("..." [smtp-server recipients id err
	smtp-sasl-user-name smtp-sasl-mechanisms wl-draft-write-sendlog
	failed smtp smtp-response-error 535 elmo-remove-passwd format
	"SMTP:%s/%s@%s" signal server mechanism user] 6)
    wl-draft-send-mail-with-smtp()
    wl-draft-dispatch-message()
    wl-draft-normal-send-func(#<buffer +draft/32> t)
    wl-draft-send(t)
    wl-draft-send-and-exit()
    call-interactively(wl-draft-send-and-exit nil nil)

I have trouble knowing which of these functions or variables is the
source of difficulty. Error 535 suggests the PW or the account name is
wrong. I assume that if I can receive mail to my two accounts, the PW
in .elmo must be right. But I don't see my SMTP account name in the
.wl. I assume that it must look to .folders.  For example, these lines
in .folders do receive mail:

  &"haines@histomat.net"@mail.histomat.net:110    "Histomat"
  &"brownh@historicalMaterialism.info"@mail.historicalmaterialism.info:110  "HistMaterialism"

> If the debugger returns byte-code you should follow the instructions
> in article:
>
> <http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.mail.wanderlust.general.japanese/6777>

Thanks, but no idea how to carry those instructions out. It says,
where the byte code appears, load the el file that provides the
function. In the debug above, there are many functions. For example,
is the crippled function smtp-server, smtp-sasl-user-name,
smtp-sasl-mechanisms, wl-draft-write-sendlog, etc.? Are these el files?

Then it says to load the el file to get more information. What el
file? It seems to say first do C-j to exit recursive mode (I tried
this and there was no feedback) and then do M-x load-file, and I was
prompted for name and location of a file to load. I need to load a
function, not a file. Which function do I then load and how do I find
it?

> What Emacs/apel/flim/semi/wl version do you use?
> Do you have gnutls-cli and/or openssl installed?

Emacs 23.2+1-7, apel 10.8-1, flim 1:1.14.9+0.20100313-2, semi
1.14.6+0.20100219-1, wl-beta 2.15.9+0.20100801-2.

There is no gnutls-cl package for Debian Squeeze, but I do have
openssl installed. I might mention that I do not have a desktop
environment, but just a window manager.

I should mention that at one point I tried to install emacs-snapshot,
but it wouldn't configure, probably because of a bug in an add-on
package that prevented it from being installed. I assumed "add-on"
meant a package being added by emacs-snapshot, and so I purged it. Too
busy to pursue the matter right away.

Wanderlust depends on flim and apel, but are they not deprecated? For
example, I'm planning to install Debian testing on another drive, but
will an installation of Wanderlust there conflict with it?

Haines