Re: SMTP port specification

On Fri, 30 Nov 2012 13:22:32 -0500
Haines Brown <haines@histomat.net> wrote:

> When wl is started, it automatically checks my POP server for new
> mail. If there is mail on it, I'm asked if I want wl to perform the
> operations. If I say yes, the mail is downloaded from the server. If I
> say no, I'm promoted whether to clear the pending operations. This
> command seems to presume an IMAP server, for if say not to clear the
> operations, I get an error:
>
>   ("make client process failed" "connection refused" :name "IMAP"
>   :buffer #<buffer *IMAP session for haines@localhost:143> :host
>   "localhost" :service 143))
>
> I use a POP3 server and its service/port is 587. Is "clear operations"
> specific only to IMAP servers? If so, how can I avoid being prompted
> for the question?

POP3 is 110 or 995
IMAP is 143 or 993

587 is Submission Port for sending e-mails.

There is obviously something wrong in your config, but I fear you have
to show your whole ~/.wl and ~/.folders.

Have you tried to set/change wl-default-spec?

(setq wl-default-spec "&")

Sorry, I've never used POP3 in Wanderlust.

> The other petty question is that I'm using a custom emacs init file at
> this point for wl, and I'd like that session of emacs to run wl
> automatically when the emacs session is started, without having then
> to issue the command M-x wl.

You can run "emacs -f wl" or put (wl) at the end of your .emacs file.

--
Herbert