Re: SMTP port specification

My prior message that things were finally working was a bit premature,
for when I closed wl and reopened it, I could no longer send messages.

However, I did finally get wl to work. I first purged wl-beta and then
the incomplete installation of emacs-snapshot. Emacs-snapshot is
incompatible with flim, which wl requires. The only configuration
difference is that the server line in .folders does not append the
:service numver. Then I reinstalled wl-beta.

I am now able to send and receive mail with wl without the variety of
errors I was getting before.

However, two petty questions remain.

When wl is started, it automatically checks my POP server for new
mail. If there is mail on it, I'm asked if I want wl to perform the
operations. If I say yes, the mail is downloaded from the server. If I
say no, I'm promoted whether to clear the pending operations. This
command seems to presume an IMAP server, for if say not to clear the
operations, I get an error:

  ("make client process failed" "connection refused" :name "IMAP"
  :buffer #<buffer *IMAP session for haines@localhost:143> :host
  "localhost" :service 143))

I use a POP3 server and its service/port is 587. Is "clear operations"
specific only to IMAP servers? If so, how can I avoid being prompted
for the question?

The other petty question is that I'm using a custom emacs init file at
this point for wl, and I'd like that session of emacs to run wl
automatically when the emacs session is started, without having then
to issue the command M-x wl.

And when I quite wl, I'd like it to quite the emacs session as well. I
tried various things without luck.  The line (autoload 'wl "wl"
"Wanderlust" t) in the emacs init file only seems to put wl into the
environment, not actually start it.

Haines Brown