Re: SMTP port specification

On Sat, 1 Dec 2012 12:08:31 -0500
Haines Brown <haines@histomat.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 01, 2012 at 03:25:22PM +0100, Herbert J. Skuhra wrote:
> > On Sat, 1 Dec 2012 08:27:01 -0500
> > Haines Brown <haines@histomat.net> wrote:
> >
> > > I found the "out" group was causing problems, so in .folders I used
> > > wl-fldmgr to remove these lines and I commented .elmp/passwd.
> >
> > Why are you editing ~/.elmo/passwd?
>
> Sorry. "Comment" was the wrong word. I moved/renamed the file.
>
> > >   out{
> > >   %drafts
> > >   %outbox/out
> > >   %queue
> > >   }
> > >
> > > I get the feeling the "%" under some conditions is telling wl that I'm
> > > using an IMAP server, and this information gets stored somewhere even
> > > when the out group is remvoved by wl-fldmgr.
> >
> > Yes, % is for IMAP folders.
>
> That's what I thought. But when I create out group and then on next
> line try to create &queue, it produces an error:
>
> [...]
>
> If I try to add %drafts, it does create it, but I get:
>
> [...]

1. You cannot use %-folders if you don't use an IMAP4 server.
2. And you cannot create folders on a POP3 server.

Why are you not fetching mails with getmail/fetchmail and store it in
a local Maildir folder?

<http://www.gohome.org/wl/doc/wl_23.html#SEC23>

> When wl-fldmgr us used to cut the draft folder and out group, I can
> check mail on my POP3 server.
>
> > > I'm not sure what these drafts, out, and queue folders are for. I've
> > > relied on mutt, which does not use them. Do I really need them? They
> > > don't seem to get used. Are they really only usefulyy if one is using an
> > > IMAP server?
> >
> > With the ~/.folders file you tell Wanderlust which folders should
> > appear in the Folder buffer.
>
> Sorry I was not clear. I meant to ask was not what ".folders" is for,
> but the queue, draft, and out folders. Are they used for a POP3
> account? I normally run mutt and have never needed such folders.

You can run wl in offline mode; e.g mails that are sent "unplugged"
are stored in the Queue folder. The default value is "+queue" (MH-folder):

<http://www.gohome.org/wl/doc/wl_22.html#SEC22>

Do I really have to explain a draft folder? If you want to store sent
message you have to set wl-fcc (or Fcc).

> I didn't include my configuration because the configuration had been
> working. Let me illustrate as follows.

Your configuration is broken. No way, that it ever worked.

> I remove .elmo/passwd file
>
> My .wl file is:
>
> (setq smtp-debug t)
> (setq debug-on-error t)
>
> (autoload 'wl-user-agent-compose "wl-draft" nil t)
>   (if (boundp 'mail-user-agent)
>       (setq mail-user-agent 'wl-user-agent))
>   (if (fboundp 'define-mail-user-agent)
>       (define-mail-user-agent
>         'wl-user-agent
>         'wl-user-agent-compose
>         'wl-draft-send
>         'wl-draft-kill
>         'mail-send-hook))
>
> (setq wl-smtp-connection-type 'starttls)
> (setq elmo-imap4-default-authenticate-type 'clear)

Why do you set this?

For smtp-auth you either need (in your case):

(setq wl-smtp-authenticate-type "plain")

or

(setq wl-smtp-authenticate-type "login")

> (setq wl-smtp-posting-server "mail.HistoricalMaterialism.info")
> (setq wl-smtp-posting-port "587")
> (setq wl-local-domain "HistoricalMaterialism.info")
> (setq wl-message-id-domain "HistoricalMaterialism.info")

I think you also have to set wl-message-id-use-message-from to nil if
this should be used in your message-id.

> (setq wl-from "Haines Brown <Haines@histomat.net>")
>
> I empty my .folders file.
>
> I start wl and use wl-fldmgr to create a POP3 client by providing the line:
>
>   &"brownh@historicalmaterialism.info"@mail.historicalmaterialism.info
>
> I then provide a petname and so my .folders file now has the line:
>
>   &"brownh@historicalmaterialism.info"@mail.historicalmaterialism.info    "Historical"
>
> I have to provide a password manually. Having done that I can
> check/sync the POP3 server. I create .elmo/passwd. When I close and
> restart wl in emacs, it checks my folders automatically without a problem. I can check
> both Desktop and my new Historical folder successfully.
>
> Now I go to create a test message. When I go to send the draft, in the mini
> buffer I'm told that STARTTLS is being opened, and then an error:
>
>   (wrong-type-argument arrayp nil)
>   [smtp-server recipients id err smtp-sasl-user-name smtp-sasl-mechanisms
>   wl-draft-write-sendlog failed smtp smtp-response-error 535 elmo-remove-passwd
>   format "SMTP:%s/%s@%s" signal server  mechanism user] 6)
>
> In sendlog I get the line:
>
>   2012/12/01 11:33:19 proto=smtp stat=failed server=mail.HistoricalMaterialism.info
>   to=<...> id=<87zk1xenqp.wl%Haines@histomat.net"
>
> This id= worrries me. Shouldn't it look like:
> id="brownh@historicalmaterialism.info"@mail.historicalmaterialism.info

This is the message id.

> Error 535 I gather is an authentication problem. Something's obviously
> wrong with my .wl file, but it produces different errors and it has
> worked in the past. Does SMTP get the password from .elmo/passwd?

It does. When you you tell wl to authenticate.

--
Herbert