Re: wanderlust and mew - which might be best choice for me?

At Thu, 10 May 2012 07:53:42 -1000,
Randy Bush wrote:

> > My advice is to never edit your ~/.folders file by hand. For some
> > reason many tutorials seem to suggest doing this. I don’t know
> > why. All the functionality is available in the WL folder manager, and
> > then you don’t have to worry about the syntax of the ~/.folders file.
>
> i edit by hand for two reasons.  first, i like emacs, and am not exited
> by a new editor, which is essentially what in-wl folder list editing is.
> i will do a simple m-a, but will edit .folders for any serious moving,
> sorting, ...
>
> not a chance in hell i can remember
>     %mailinglist-12:corjb/clear@email.flobnitz.ac.uk:993!
> to type it in correctly when adding a new mailbox on that server.
>
> ymmv

Hi Randy,

These are good points. I just don’t understand why tutorial authors
seem to encourage new users to fiddle with their ~/.folders file.

Everybody- I have made a few enhancements for my WL auto-config
system. Unfortunately it is based on the Mozilla auto-config settings
which are rather incomplete. However it basically works for gmail and
probably some other systems. The bootstrap method is similar to the
el-get method. Paste the following in your scratch buffer, and give it
a shot. It will prompt before it changes your customize settings or
folders.

  ;; Paste into *scratch* buffer, type C-x C-e, and answer questions.
  (url-retrieve
  "https://raw.github.com/gist/1207807/wl-auto-config.el";
   (lambda (s)
     (goto-char (point-max))
     (eval-print-last-sexp)))

I don’t know what to do with this, except perhaps link to it on
emacswiki.

best, Erik
Sent from my free software system <http://fsf.org/>.