Re: address directorate ping

[Urgh.  Asynchronous reading due to mail filtering habits;
apologies for not seeing the entire thread before my
earlier reply.]

Randy Bush wrote:
hmmm.  so it is not valid for us to point to the rirs' open process
and lists?  seems like a slippery slope to me, i.e. how much of
their processes should we supplant?  i will have to think about
this.  perhaps you and leslie should discuss this with the rir
ceos?

I believe, from my previous discussions with RIR folk
about this theory, that the appropriate thing is for this
group to not have a public component, and that the opinions/
suggestions it provides should then be taken through
normal channels: liaisons, WGs, RIR open mailing lists
as appropriate.
I.e., it's got to be a clueful body of people that will
provide solid advice to the ADs, and the ADs are still
responsible for the decisions they make; WGs are still
responsible for the work they do, and so on. Normal
directorate behaviour, yes?

The charter looks pretty direct; I wonder about adding
"the IAB" to the list of other entities that might use
the directorate as a source of sound input.

I don't yet know the crowds well enough to be able
to detect all of the folk who are RIR-clueful.

Leslie.

while it is not required that directorates have charters, there
seems to be some sentiment that this directorate should have one,
maybe inspired by the growing ietf tendency to be more interested
in process than product.

for a first draft, see http://ops.ietf.org/add-dir.html

randy

"Reality: