Re: [Fwd: GGF and IETF]

>From Harald:

> Most of the "interesting" stuff the GGF is doing (that is, likely to break
> out of the Grid world and into the general networking industry) is in the
> area of very high speed networking and AAA frameworks for Net-accessible
> services (rather than the net access that IETF AAA focuses on).

These two sound interesting, and they are areas related to IETF where IETF isn't
working.

>From Thomas:

> Two groups working in isolation in areas that touch each other or
> partially overlap is a good recipe for producing messes sometime down
> the road.

Yes, well, 802.11 suggests exactly such a mess that some of us have been
directly or indirectly attempting to clean up for a while. Their approaches to
AAA have been broken in many ways, and they are now having to come to IETF to
fix it up. I could see that happening with GGF at some point.

I think IAB should discuss this, and I would support appointing a liasion. There
is a higher level issue here for IAB of how to achieve more oversight over
liasion activity in general, or whether that is even necessary, since we seem to
be getting more and more of these, but that's independent of the merits of this
particular case, which I think are strong.

                jak