Re: [Fwd: GGF and IETF]

> As far as I understand GridFTP, it's an FTP that runs multiple (up to 100)
> parallel TCP streams in order to have less of a reduce-the-window impact
> when one packet is lost; they want it to be able to fill a dedicated
lambda
> and keep it full, even when having a residual packet loss rate.
> Of course, the impact on Net congestion is exactly the same as when
> reducing the downscaling factor in TCP (I think).

If the goal is to do extremely fast bulk transfers then that is not a very
sensible way to go about it. For one thing, at the rates that we are talking
about (10+ Gbps) you've got a major memory bandwidth problem. For an
explanation, see:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rddp-problem-statement-01.txt

Running multiple parallel TCP streams doesn't solve that problem.