Re: Evaluation: draft-mealling-iana-xmlns-registry - The IETF XMLRegistry to BCP

Wijnen, Bert (Bert) wrote:
- Section 2.1 states:
                     NOTE: in order for a URN of this type to be
   assigned, the item being registered MUST have been through the IETF
   concensus process.  Practically this means it must be documented in
   an RFC.

  Given the confusion we have seen over what "IETF consensus" means, do
  we want to keep the above or maybe define it better?

To your point -- no, because this sentence is referencing what
is documented as BCP (BCP 66, RFC3406) for registering URN namespaces.
I.e., BCP 66 says thou shalt assign these by "ietf consensus".

However, the sentence is a good example of some of Michael's more
tortuous writing results... All he's trying to say (and the text
could perhaps be changed to say) is:

NOTE:  the URN namespace registration template, as required
in RFC3406 for registration of this namespace, is provided in
section <foo>

Leslie.

"Reality:
     Yours to discover."