RE: Last Call: The Secure Real-time Transport Protocol to Proposed Standard

IESG:

The IANA has reviewed the following Internet-Draft which
is in Last Call: <draft-ietf-avt-srtp-06.txt>, and has
the following comments with regards to the publication of
this document:

We understand the first paragraph of the IANA considerations
section to request a profile name registration in the rtp-parameters
registry.

The second and third paragraphs of the IANA considerations
sections says the following:

   SRTP uses cryptographic transforms, which a key management protocol
   signals. It is the task of each particular key management protocol
   to register the cryptographic transforms or suites of transforms
   with IANA. The key management protocol conveys these protocol
   numbers, not SRTP, and each key management protocol chooses the
   numbering scheme and syntax that it requires.

   Specification of a key management protocol for SRTP is out of scope
   here. Section 8.2, however, provides guidance on the parameters that
   need to be defined for the default and mandatory transforms.

Is the IANA requested to create a new registry for "SRTP cryptographic
transforms or suites of transforms"?

In section 8.2 we see the list of Key Management parameters.  Is this
the initial registry?  How are others to be added?

The IANA Considerations section needs to be more clear.

Please respond to the IANA about our concerns with regards to this
document.  Failing to do so may cause delay of the approval and
publication of your document.

Thank you.

Michelle S. Cotton
(on behalf of the IANA)