A couple of comments on draft-ietf-nsis-req

I wondered whether to make comments, but saw others making comments enough that it'll probably go through another rev, so I decided that I could toss these into the pot.... I've only gotten to section 5.9 before the telechat, unfortunately.....

This section, from the start of section 5, worries me:

The parts of the networks we differentiate are the host-to-first
router, the access network, and the core network. The host to first
router part includes all the layer 2 technologies to access to the
Internet. This part of the division is especially informal and may
incorporate several access segments. In many cases, there is an
application and/or user running on the host initiating signaling.
The access network can be characterized by low capacity links,
medium speed IP processing capabilities, and it might consist of a
complete layer 2 network as well. The core network characteristics
include high-speed forwarding capacities and inter-domain issues.
These divisions between network types are not strict and do not
appear in all networks, but where they do exist they may influence
signaling requirements and will be highlighted as necessary.

First of all, the grammar is sufficiently convoluted that I have problems parsing it.

Second, I have definitional problems.

I have problems imagining how an access network can work if it does NOT contain a "complete layer 2 network" - after all, a link is, in its way, a layer 2 network. OTOH, I don't think GSM/GPRS can fairly be called a "layer 2 network" - it's more complex than that - but it's definitely being used as an access network.

The sentence "host to first router part includes all the layer 2 technologies to access to the Internet" does not parse, and makes the definition only make sense when the first router is connected to the Internet - I don't think that was intended.

Since this paragraph is key to the overall architectural constraints, I think it's rather important to make it crystal clear.

Section 5.5.1 on scalability worries me a lot, because it uses "scalable" without referring to a scale; while it may be appropriate to "scale" an end-system-to-first-router protocol to 10.000 users and say "good enough", I think core routers have scalability requirements to millions of active participants (which argues for them not having to see their state....)

I would like to see some hand-wringing here like:

"The NSIS protocols MUST be scalable up to the level of ubiquity - that is, if every end-user on the network uses NSIS functions, the system MUST NOT be brought to a catastrophic failure, but continue to give service appropriate to the resources available."

There might be more than this, but this is at least worrying.....