Re: WG mailing list: auto discard from non-subscribers?

--On 20. august 2003 06:57 -0400 Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com> wrote:

Do we have any WG list mgmt guidelines saying we cannot automatically
discard/reject e-mails from non-subscribers?
http://www.ietf.cnri.reston.va.us/IESG/STATEMENTS/mail-submit-policy.txt

But I'll note that we aren't following it to the letter anymore. I
think that there are plenty of mailing lists that send spam without
warning or human review to /dev/null. Some will argue that there is a
fine line between "spam" and mail from a non-subscriber.

But, with spam getting worse and worse, asking anyone to look at every
spam message manually is asking a lot.
there's a third alternative, which has been suggested on the wgchairs list: running a script that uses spamassassin to evaluate the spamminess of the stuck messages.

on ietf-types, it managed to kill more than 75% of the queued messages.

I would like to approve of killing anything that looks like spam with no manual check or notification, but require (recommend?) human intervention for the stuff that is just posted from an unconventional From: address, or is a result of a "reply all".

harald