Subject: Re: IAB comments on draft-baker-liaisons-00.txt
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 14:15:33 -0700
From: Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com>
To: Leslie Daigle <leslie@thinkingcat.com>
CC: Stephen J Trowbridge <sjtrowbridge@lucent.com>, Scott Bradner <sob@harvard.edu>, IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, iab@ietf.org

OK, so what I get from this ongoing dialog is that

(a) you want the ID process mentioned for things other SDOs want standardized.
(b) the IAB is indeed willing to receive documents from other SDOs in their
format when their liaison statements are referring to their documents; they
don't have to put those documents in I-D form.
(c) the IESG is going to send text regarding their concerns.

What I remain befuddled about is the formality of the interface.

What Stephen tells us the other SDOs specifically want is a formal structure such as is described in the document, however implemented. They have tried the statements@ietf.org process and find that it doesn't produce results (not just "doesn't produce on a schedule", but "doesn't produce results at all"). What he asked for in the draft sent to the IAB last winter and from which I started included what, at least to me, is a fair level of administrate manual process. I changed the manual nature of the process requested to a web process designed to elicit the results they requested; the steps are the same, what differs is the tool or lack of it.

Your key objection was that you didn't like the formality of the process - you didn't like the fact that when someone sends you a letter, they expect you to reply to it, and they might want the reply by a certain date.

Can you tell us what you want done with this? Don't take this as flip; I am seriously asking a question here. If your answer is "I want you to say 'send the liaison statement to statements@ietf.org, and if we're in the mood we might reply'", I think Stephen's position will be something along the lines of "this is a waste of time; I will never get anywhere trying to communicate with the IETF, and will feel justified in ignoring it and attempting to replace it as an organization for the development of standards". Those aren't his words, they are what I think I would say in his position. If your answer is "I don't like the proposed process, and I have another process that I guarantee the IETF will reply to", I think we're all ears. If you're willing to work with the proposed process, but want tweaks, by all means let us know what should change.

But understand that the objective here is not to send documents to the IETF. It is to get replies from the IETF that are authoritative, and get them on a schedule. Apart from that, there is no point to sending liaison statements. And the ITU feels that it is not getting authoritative replies on a schedule.

"Reality:
Yours to discover."
-- ThinkingCat
Leslie Daigle