Re: [Fwd: Re: IAB comments on draft-baker-liaisons-00.txt]

At Mon, 25 Aug 2003 17:30:57 -0400, Leslie Daigle wrote:

> [Dropping the doc authors for the moment.]
>
> I feel that I have said plenty at this point, and I'm not
> particularly interested in carrying this on as a personal
> critique of the document.  At least one of: there are real problems to
> be solved (in which case I think the IESG has something to say,
> too); the IAB thinks publishing this document would be
> dangerous (in which case other IAB members are welcome to
> step up and say which parts of my comments they agreed with);
> there is no problem here, and we should stop wasting everyone's
> time.

you've been doing a good enough job of carrying a badly smoking torch
that there's been no incentive for anybody else to interfere :).

i think there are several issues, all of which have been discused in
one form or another, but i'm trying to pull them together in capsule
form in one place:

1) who does the legwork for a particular communication?

  answer: the liaison (person) for the relationship in question, with
  the understanding that the liaison (person) may chose to delegate
  the job to someone more appropriate.  unless i'm confused (again),
  this person is usually somebody picked by the iab, in consultation
  with the iesg and anybody else whom the iab thinks might have
  something useful to contribute (eg, the sdo in question)

2) how do we keep from dropping the ball?

   answer: this is yet another tracking job for the secretariat.
   think paper trail, although no doubt we'd do it online.   the point
   is to make it possible for both ietf folk and the sdo in question
   to figure out what has and has not happened, and to know what to do
   to get things rolling again if they've stalled.

3) how do we decide when we have an answer?

   this is the point bert just raised, and i think it's a good one.

4) how do we deal with requests which are, in our opinion, unreasonable
   (eg, unrealistic response deadlines) or ill-formed?

   answer: expectation management through better working
   relationships (i can feel my hair growing points as i type this) or
   not at all (ok, my hair's better now) as the case may be.

does any of this help, or are you really looking for somebody else to
argue with fred?