Re: For your feedback: EDU team charter

--On 11. september 2003 09:12 -0700 Randy Bush <randy@psg.com> wrote:

Education Team Charter
======================

[Draft Version: 02]

OVERVIEW:

The education team manages the internal education efforts of the IETF,
primarily focused on role and process education for IETF participants
and leaders.

does the iesg review _team_ charters, whatever teams are? i.e., this seems to create a new organizational structure. if so, perhaps this should be done with some deliberation, perhaps even _open_ deliberation.

Yes, and this mail is the first shot in that deliberation process.

This was discussed in the EDU BOF in Vienna; the BOF reached consensus that the WG model (milestones, deadlines and an expectation to shut down after a given point) was not the appropriate one, and that the directorate model was not appropriate, but agreed that the work should definitely go on under the management of the IESG.

Minutes at <http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/03jul/minutes/edu.htm>

The proposed charter is also going out to the edu-discuss mailing list that is described in the charter, which has some 50 members (and no traffic); I think we should also announce the charter on ietf-announce before approving it - but that's an IESG decision to make.

STRUCTURE:

This effort is managed by a core education team, consisting of a
leader and several members.  The leader is appointed by the General
Area Director, and the members of the team are chosen by the leader,
with the approval of the General Area Director.

is this a new form of participation restriction, rather similar to design teams?

Yes. Also similar to directorates.

In order to allow for community visibility and input into our
educational activities:

    - The education team will maintain a web site.  The web site
      will be accessible from the IETF web site, and will include:
          > The members of the education team.
          > A detailed action plan describing the plans and
            schedule for education team activities.
          > Minutes from all education team meetings.
    - The archives of the education team mailing list will be publicly
      available, and accessible from the web site.
    - The education team will hold occasional open meetings at IETF
      meetings (approximately one per year) to receive community input
      and feedback.
    - A public discussion mailing list will be maintained, for open
      discussion of our internal education efforts.

all organizational stuff, but not one bit of actual educational material. dilbert strikes!

that's the next section.... your point being?

CURRENT RESPONSIBILITIES (As of Sept 2003):

The education team is responsible for maintaining and enhancing our
current education efforts, including:

    - Newcomer's training
    - Security tutorial
    - Introductory WG Chairs training
    - Ongoing WG Chairs training (topical)
    - Sessions for ongoing participants (topical)

This includes scheduling and logistical planning for these sessions,
deciding what will be presented by whom at topical sessions, managing
the development and review of training materials, and maintaining an
archive of the training materials and session minutes on the education
team web site.

In addition to formal training sessions, this group may consider
other approaches to meeting our educational goals, such as
mentoring/buddy programs, web-based training tutorials, and/or the
publication of educational documents as Informational RFCs.

FUTURE PLANS (Sept 2003-Sept 2004):

Over the next year, we will enhance and extend our current training
activities for participants and WG chairs, based on community
feedback and the judgement of the education team.

We will add a training session for current and aspiring document
editors.

We will also undertake educational efforts to help more non-North
Americans to be effective in the IETF.  This is likely to include
education for North Americans regarding ways to make our meetings more
accessible to non-native English speakers, as well as new and/or
translated training sessions or educational resources for non-North
American participants.

CONTACT INFORMATION:

Team Leader:
Margaret Wasserman <mrw@windriver.com>