Re: Fwd: NomCom Volunteer List

Michael StJohns <mstjohns@mindspring.com> writes:
> What I'm looking for is for this version to be approved NOW... the
> current nit picking on the nomcom list is neither productive nor
> likely to solve the current problem.  If there are problems, enter a
> new cycle of document review after this one is approved.  If its
> approved before the nomcom is empaneled the new rules should apply.

I see. I'm a little concerned about whether this is right
from a procedural perspective, but you've traditionally been
pretty careful about process issues so I'm willing to assume
that you've interpreted things correctly unless someone
else has an argument to the contrary?

> Let me put it another way.  Statistically speaking, a random selection
> of people from a larger population should mirror the distribution of
> that larger population (e.g. if the larger population is 2000 and 100
> of those are from ARC (a router company), inc then if you select 100
> people from the larger population, about 5 should be from ARC.  I find
> it hard to believe that Nokia, Cisco and Nortel make up 42% of the
> eligible population and to me that says there's something more going
> on than just a desire to serve.

Yeah, it's more like 20%. I agree that these companies are
overrepresented in the nomcom. OTOH, it would be interesting
to see if the volunteers match some other metric of
participation, like document authorship.

-Ekr